Monday, August 15, 2011

the busiest and best week of my summer

So I'm moving this week, and on the one hand I feel like the critters on the Secret of Nimh as they run around screaming their heads off that it's Moving Day. On the other hand I am scheduled to begin thinking about packing when I get home today, and refuse to do it a moment sooner. ie I have in no way started. So it doesn't feel real.

I am sadexcitedapprehensive about moving. I had a really great summer, and while I am sooo ready for school to start, I don't want the summer to end. I have had the best ward probably of my whole Provo experience and made so many friends and had so much fun. All my Winter roomies peaced out on me, so I had the chance to really get out of my shell and meet people that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I had the coolest bishopric who had the coolest families. And I got to be RS president which opened up my world to a lot of new and wonderful experiences. Yeah, I'd chalk this one up as a "win."

But, like they say, all good things must come to an end. Fortunately the majority of my ward is dispersing, so I don't really want to stay. I just want things to stay the same for a while longer.

Anyways, last week was crazy but so good! Let me walk you through.

Saturday the 6th- Spend all morning/afternoon shopping for an upcoming activity and went to the gym with my friend Jamie. Had a lot of fun. Got a sweet black leather purse for $1, thank you thrift store. Had a migraine, took a nap. Went to wedding reception of two people in my ward, hung out with cool ward friends. Stayed up until 2 getting stuff ready for Sunday, did not sleep that night, probably because of said migraine.

Sunday was at church at 8 for meetings, run my mouth off pointing out that I never had to speak in church in this ward. Promptly get asked to speak the following Sunday, which is my last Sunday in the ward. Really? Really? Took 10 minute nap after church, made food for Break the Fast, went to Break the Fast and had fun, Spent some time getting activity stuff ready, went to ward prayer, sat and talked and had fun and got 11 mosquito bites.

Monday work 8-5, purchase hair dye and do more shopping for activity. Go to FHE, walk around ward passing out fliers for activity, spend an hour trying to locate gloves to dye hair. Realize I still have 7 frozen lasagnas in my freezer that need to be cooked the next day that I hadn't passed out. Cue texting storm. Finally dye my hair at midnight. (it looks good) Stay up way too late. Texts still going back and forth at 2 am.

Tuesday have a panic attack that everything is not ready for activity. Leave work at 2:30 so I can go home and make preparations. Cook 2 lasagnas, make 2 salads, and coordinate getting everything over to the stake center. Host Elder's Quorum Appreciation Night, where we fed them lasagna, salad, desserts, drinks, and decorated the tables with a million cute notes saying what we love about them, Hershey's kisses, and little signs. Balloons blown up and strewn about the floor. My friend Matt speculating that there is not enough food. Cue another panic attack and hurriedly making another salad. Turns out we have way too much food. Great turn out, lots of help. I love my RS girls. So tired I can't see straight. Lots and lots of fun. Clean up, friend Lindsay takes me home, we sit and talk about life for a while on my porch. More mosquito bites.

Wednesday Work 8-5. Still exhausted. Get home, finish paying back BYU so I can register. But it hasn't updated yet, so I can't register. Orient the new RS Pres, then we go to a stake RS pres meeting which normally lasts an hour but for some reason lasted 2 1/2 hours. Just. Need. A. Break. But can't quit now! Mosquito bite on right hand index finger knuckle giant and swollen. Go to bed way too late. Sleep fitfully, it's hot in our house. Awake to my computer making some crazy screaming sound at 5 am. Certain that my computer has screamed its last, I drag myself out of bed to examine the damage. It just restarted itself, no harm done. Go back to bed. Hand itching and writhing so badly from giant swollen mosquito bite, must get out of bed and get something to ice it. Head to kitchen, see a strange truck parked right behind our house that wasn't there before. Note that all the windows are open and if it's a serial killer it won't take much for them to get it. Sit and ice my hand for a while, go back to bed. Cue bizarre dream that person from my past is mad about something I had nothing to do with and they try to slit my throat, and kind of succeed. I run to the police but they don't believe me and convince me I'm crazy. I wake up. Why can't I just sleep?

Thursday Turns out the truck belongs to future tenant who is on vacay. Work 8-2:30, closed early for graduation, halelujah. Go home and veg, spend all day hitting refresh trying to get into classes I need. For some reason the only openings for 4 of my classes is the same time slot on Tuesday/Thursday. Great. Gary the Magnificent emails me and says they will let me move in early. I won't be homeless after all. Realize I never asked anyone to teach on Sunday. Make a couple attempts but realize it's not fair on such short notice when our ward will be camping all weekend. Add "Teach RS" to the list of things I have to do on Sunday. Glance through the lesson. Get the night off! Watch SYTYCD finale, Go Melanie! Get not enough sleep.

Friday work 8-5. Have had songs from A Very Potter Musical stuck in my head for 2 weeks now. After literally stalking the registration website all day, I finally get my perfect Fall schedule, including a piano class and a jogging class. First time I will take classes for the pure fun of it. Also have 3 english classes, 1 elang class, and christian history. I'm going to die with reading. Walk home with co-worker who just had their last day. Take a shower and pack and leave for ward camp out. SO MUCH FUN! Will get its own post. Go to bed at 2, don't sleep at all because it's freezing. Cry quietly to myself and wish for death or morning, whichever comes first.

Saturday Have fun camping until about 2 ish that afternoon. I love my ward. No mosquito bites. Really? Provo has more than the great outdoors? Go home and shower because I smell FOUL. Take a 2 1/2 hour nap that I've been needing for a week and a half. Get up and prep to start working on my talk. Get a text from Lindsay. Do I want to go get ice cream? Yeah, I do. Abandon all pretenses of working on talk. Go pick up 2 other friends and hit the frozen yogurt. Spend my last $3. Hope (a lot) that I get my reimbursement check the next day (I do). Finally at 10pm I settle down to write my talk. Stay up all night (again), except my body collapses a few times because I didn't sleep the night before. Must just survive one more day...

Sunday When I leave for 8am meeting, my talk is only half written. Cool, I'm only the first speaker and Sacrament meeting is at 9:25. Have a good PEC meeting, Bishop makes me bear my testimony. I cry. I loved being RS pres. Run up to the clerk's office, I have 25 minutes to finish my talk. Pull out my feeble and fragile laptop. Definitely should not be taking it from home, but this is an emergency. Start copy and pasting quotes like a crazy person. Print on the clerk's computer. Slowest computer in the world. Church started 5 minutes ago. Run through the halls and literally walk in the door just in time to be released with a vote of thanks. Like, I didn't even have time to sit down. Spend Sacrament reading my talk for the first time. Get up and give it. Not too shabby.

Sit down, pull out the gospel principles manual and start planning my RS lesson. Get distracted, the other talks are great too. Elder Cardon of the Seventy is at our meeting (his son is in our ward) and he gets up and talks as well. Super good. Move on to Sunday School. Still planning my lesson, and get a bare outline pounded out. Sunday School is good, I get distracted again. Most definitely not ready when RS rolls around. Work out a backup plan with new RS pres for when my lesson isn't long enough. But because my RS girls are so fabulous, they make a million comments and I straight up run out of time halfway through my lesson. Cue frantic paraphrasing. Then testimony bearing and public emotional breakdown as I say goodbye to the girls. Awesome Sunday, spirit very strong in every meeting. People saying lots of nice things to me. Lots of hugging. I'm going to miss them all so much! Grateful I got to teach one last time, even if it was a busy day.

Get home, fight to stay awake long enough to get home taught. Go take a nap for an hour, then go pay a visit to Laurel to borrow "North and South." Roomie Kelley has never seen it. (gasp) Spend the next 3 hours guilt free watching awesome British drama and chowing down on muddy buddies. First time in 4 months I've had a free Sunday afternoon/evening. It feels kinda nice. Ward prayer. Vows of seeing each other again before we all move later this week. Run home to finish "North and South". I love you Mr. Thornton! Sit and chat with Kelley for a bit and then BAM I realize how tired I am. Fall into bed.

I did it. I survived the week! And I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

1 comment:

  1. W.O.W. You are super woman!!!!! And I thought my last week or so was busy... We need to chat... I miss you... I LOVE that you LOVE North and South, one of my very favorites.

    Must go, my break from my busy week is now over.

    Love you lots!